Sunday, September 11, 2016
I spent the weekend doing alot of polish on this apartment. Since I started, I bought substance painter and zbrush, and it was really fun to add that extra organic detail to the things that needed it the most. I still have a long way to go before I call it finished. Next up is...more polish. After that, I'll be working on different lighting setups, and swappable material instances for things like lights. My goal now is to use this environment as a template for various lighting setups.
Saturday, April 16, 2016
I also did some research on fancy shaders! The one below is Parallax occlusion mapping- emulating higher poly surfaces with a single plane and a complicated shader network;
Sunday, March 27, 2016
Sunday, March 13, 2016
Lately, I've been inspired to try and come up with some modular cave assets. I did some research into basic stalactite/stalagmite shapes; where they happen and how they can compound onto each other. I was also interested in the interplay between dry rocky textures and wet drippy textures, but I'll have to look into more of that later. My goal for this was to create as few props as possible to replicate this complex growth in old limestone caves. I'm hoping to create a few more pieces ( with nicer details) in the weeks to come.
On another note, this is the first time I've exported zbrush obj's and baked the details to a lower res mesh! Lucky for me, stalactites are pretty goopy already, so it was the perfect sculpting project for my skill level. The grey assets on the right hand side are basic maya geo ( my proof of concept phase)